ACG Global College is committed to providing quality training and assessment in accordance with the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015. As such, ACG Global College is required to offer Recognition to all students, and to implement an assessment system that ensures that assessment (including recognition of prior learning) complies with assessment requirements of Training Packages and VET Accredited course, the Principles of Assessment (POA) and Rules of Evidence (ROE).
2. Policy Statement
ACG Global College is committed to providing effective processes for Recognition options to all current and prospective students.
ACG Global College will ensure that:
- It implements an assessment system that ensures RPL assessments comply with assessment requirements of relevant Training Packages, VET Accredited Courses;
- RPL assessment is conducted in accordance with the Principles of Assessment (POA);
- RPL assessment is conducted in accordance with the Rules of Evidence (ROE);
- Recognition is offered to all students on enrolment;
- Adequate information and support are provided to students in understanding the process and gathering reliable evidence to support their recognition claim;
- all Recognition applications are processed in accordance with the ACG Global College Assessment Policy; and
- Appropriate recognition will be given to AQF Certification documentation issued by other RTOs.
3.1 The following words and expressions have the following specific meaning, as in the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015.
AQF certification documentation is the set of official documents that confirms that an AQF qualification or statement of attainment has been issued to an individual.
AQF qualification means an AQF qualification type endorsed in a training package or accredited in a VET accredited course.
Assessment means the process of collecting evidence and making judgements on whether competency has been achieved, to confirm that an individual can perform to the standard required in the workplace, as specified in a training package or VET accredited course.
Assessment system is a coordinated set of documented policies and procedures (including assessment materials and tools) that ensure assessments are consistent and are based on the Principles of Assessment contained in Table 1.8-1 and the Rules of Evidence contained in Table 1.8-2.
Authenticated VET transcript has the meaning given in the Student Identifiers Act 2014.
Competency means the consistent application of knowledge and skill to the standard of performance required in the workplace. It embodies the ability to transfer and apply skills and knowledge to new situations and environments.
Module means a group of learning outcomes in a VET accredited course where it can be established that it is not possible to develop an appropriate unit of competency.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) means an assessment process that assesses the competency/s of an individual that may have been acquired through formal, non-formal and informal learning to determine the extent to which that individual meets the requirements specified in the training package or VET accredited courses.
- formal learning refers to learning that takes place through a structured program of instruction and is linked to the attainment of an AQF qualification or statement of attainment (for example, a certificate, diploma or university degree);
- non-formal learning refers to learning that takes place through a structured program of instruction, but does not lead to the attainment of an AQF qualification or statement of attainment (for example, in-house professional development programs conducted by a business); and
- informal learning refers to learning that results through experience of work-related, social, family, hobby or leisure activities (for example the acquisition of interpersonal skills developed through several years as a sales representative).
Registrar has the meaning given in the Student Identifiers Act 2014.
Statement of attainment means a statement issued to a person confirming that the person has satisfied the requirements of the unit/s of competency or accredited short course specified in the statement.
Unit of competency means the specification of the standards of performance required in the workplace as defined in a training package.
4. Policy Principles
4.1 Underpinning Principles
- Recognition is made available to any person commencing a course with ACG Global College.
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is the determination, on an individual basis, of the skills and knowledge currently held by the learner acquired through formal, non-formal and informal learning.
- Recognition is used to determine the advanced standing or ‘credit’, for a training program, that the learner may be awarded as a result of their prior knowledge, skills and experience.
- Recognition is an alternative pathway to an AQF qualification or Statement of Attainment.
- Recognition is an Assessment process, and as such is subject to all provisions of the ACG Global College “Assessment Policy”.
- Recognition assessment decisions must comply with Principles of Assessment and Rules of Evidence as outlined in the Standards for RTOs and in ACG Global College Assessment Policy.(See Assessment Policy)
- All students may apply for formal recognition of existing competencies against a AQF qualification / unit of competency that ACG Global College is registered to deliver.
- The onus is upon the candidate to demonstrate competence to the satisfaction of the assessors, including the provision of certification documentation.
- Competency may be derived from many sources:
- Work experiences
- Work product
- Life experience
- Training programs offered by industry, private or community based providers which may or may not have been formally recognised
- Training programs undertaken overseas (which may or may not be accredited in that country)
- Informal learning programs
- Certification from another RTO
- Only accredited and approved assessors will conduct Recognition assessments on behalf of ACG Global College. (See Assessment Policy)
- Recognition assessments must comply with the assessment requirements detailed in the relevant Training Package and VET Accredited course.
- Recognition application and assessments are subject to fees as outlined in the enrolment form section ‘Training Fees’.
- The minimum acceptable claim for Recognition is a Unit of competency/module.
- Certification documentation will not be issued until all relevant fees are paid in full. (See Certification Policy)
- Information of Recognition processes and arrangements are provided to all students and prospective students.
- An applicant, who has undertaken a course that is not competency based, can gain credit transfer into a competency-based course if the mapping of competency can be justified.
4.2 Credit Transfer
- ACG Global College will accept and mutually recognise the decisions and outcomes of any RTO or body in partnership with an RTO, thereby ensuring mutual acceptance throughout Australia of the qualifications and Statements of Attainment awarded by other RTO’s or AQF authorised issuing organisations.
- ACG Global College recognises AQF certification documentation from other RTOs, and authenticated VET transcripts issued by the Registrar and after review and verification of validity will apply a credit to all relevant units of competency.
- Credit Transfer applies when the certification documentation provided by the student contains the same national competency code as those that form part of the training and assessment program offered by ACG Global College.
- To receive credit transfer of held units of competency must be the current code, or an equivalent code. ACG Global College must be able to verify the mapping on training.gov.au.
- Certification documentation must be presented as a certified copy of an original. Certified copies must be signed by an authorised authority e.g. JP.
- ACG Global College are not obliged to issue a AQF qualification or Statement of Attainment that is achieved wholly through recognition of units and /or modules completed at another RTO or RTOs. (i.e. student cannot complete all of their learning and assessment with another RTO and request ACG Global College to issue the qualification under Recognition)
- The amount of recognition contributing to the issuance of certification documentation from ACG Global College (i.e. using units/modules completed at other RTOs) is at the discretion of the CEO.
- In the event a student wishes to undertake refresher training in a unit/module for which they have been previously awarded recognition, then student will be advised that the completion of the assessment is not necessary, however, may be offered as an option.
- Where the recognised AQF qualification and attributed units/modules forms part of another AQF qualification, the student will only be enrolled in the additional units required to complete the new qualification.
- Fees will reflect reduced learning load.
Students have the right to appeal a Recognition Assessment decision. (See Appeals Policy)
6. Access and Equity
Students have fair and equal rights to assessment, including recognition. (See Access and Equity Policy)
7. Records Management
All documentation from Recognition processes are maintained in accordance with Records Management Policy. (See Records Management Policy)
8. Monitoring and Improvement
All Recognition practices are monitored by the CEO and areas for improvement identified and acted upon. (See Continuous Improvement Policy)